Welcome to Getting Your Fix! Whether you have time to meditate on with a cup of 'joe' or not, these daily doses of power will encourage, inspire and empower you. Time to get charged!
In His Grip,
Lisa - Warrior, Princess

Monday, May 20, 2013

Devastation in Oklahoma: A Response

     All of us have a mix of questions, thoughts and emotions going through our being as we watch the coverage of the massive tornado that hit Moore, Oklahoma today. It is heart wrenching, shocking and traumatic on so many levels. And it is completely valid and acceptable to feel and think what we are thinking and feeling.
     Thousands of years ago, a worship song was written by the sons of Korah and given to the Chief Musician in King David's court. It is very applicable to today's horror.

     "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God, My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my food day and night, while they continually say to me, 'Where is your God?' 

     When I remember these things I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them in the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast. 

     Why are you cast down oh my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God. for I shall yet praise Him. For the help of His countenance. 

     O my God, my soul is cast down within me, Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan. And from the heights of Hermon, From the Hill Mizar. Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls, all your waves and billows have gone over me. 

     The Lord will command His loving-kindness in the day time, And in the night His song will be with me - A prayer to the God of my life. I will say to God my Rock, 'Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?' As with a breaking of my bones, my enemies reproach me, while they say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?' 

     Why are you cast down, O my soul? And, why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God. For I will yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God." - Psalm 42


     Translated into today's language it basically says: "God!! Where are you!!? All I do everyday is cry. I used to go to church and praise you. But I am wrecked!! I can only praise you in hope that You will help me. You will be with me during this time even when I ask You my Rock, 'Why have you forgotten me?' All those people I proclaim Your greatness to, oppress me and challenge me by asking, 'Where is your God?' I am wrecked. Even still, I will praise You, my help and my God." 


     There are going to be things that happen on this earth God allows that we will never understand; things that hurt and make us upset with the Lord. When tragedy strikes the test of faith begins. We must press through with faith in the midst of the feelings we are experiencing. God is faithful to listen and receive us in our hurt. Then, He will lead us by His still waters and restore our soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment