Welcome to Getting Your Fix! Whether you have time to meditate on with a cup of 'joe' or not, these daily doses of power will encourage, inspire and empower you. Time to get charged!
In His Grip,
Lisa - Warrior, Princess

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Back in the Groove

     Have you ever jumped into doing something you hadn't done in a long time, but thought your performance would be as if you never stopped? Well, that happened to me. I became in love with being in water very young. Living in Southern California I was around swimming pools and the beach year round. In addition, I lived with a competitive swimmer who also lived his life work as an L.A. County Ocean Lifeguard. I learned to swim well at an early age and was body surfing on waves by 9 or 10 years old. 

     Even though I had not gone swimming in yeeeaaarrrsss, I thought I was a champ. Last summer, I asked my dad to help me out with a work out while visiting their home. After suiting up, I went in the back yard, jumped in the pool and waited for my dad, the coach, to come and help a sista' begin the journey of getting in shape. Cake! I'm a great swimmer, this is going to be easy breezy.

     My dad gave me the FIRST directives. I came up for air like I had never breathed before. I was huffing and puffing; had my hands on my hips, bending over trying to catch my breath. I was dying you guys, like literally. I looked at my dad and was like, "I can't breathe, I can't breathe." He let me rest.

     Long story short, after three days of being in the pool every morning with the coach giving me directives to build my wind up and my speed my dad say's, "Okay, do the next 200 yards easy and when you're done I'll show you where you're swimming wrong."

     "What??!!" I jumped up out of the water, "What do you mean I'm swimming wrong!??!" I was all bent out of shape (no pun intended) with an attitude looking at my dad like, "You're trippin' I know how to swim." Lovingly, like the great dad he is, he let me know that I was not swimming properly; my stroke was off. Ya'll I had to re-learn how to do a "baby stroke" but, I was out of shape and had not done it  in a long time. My pride was hurt and I had to humble myself and remember that I was dealing with a REAL swimmer; a lifer if you know what I mean.

     Though this is a true account there is an underlying message. It's a parable. So, let me ask you some questions. How's your swim? When is the last time you got in the pool and swam? How's your stroke? Are you in relationship with THE Coach to learn the ways of the water and currents? Are you playin' in the pool, just splashin' around or can you compete for the prize? 

    Here is the good news. If you are just splashin' around or been out of the water for some time, THE Coach is still on the deck waiting for you. He wants you to get serious and learn the stroke for your life that will produce results benefiting the Kingdom. It is never too late. As long as you are here you can become mature in your walk with Jesus. If you have been away, come back. Give yourself a chance to familiarize yourself again with the church, God's Word and His ways. THE Coach is waiting for you. So jump in! The water is fine!



   



No comments:

Post a Comment