Welcome to Getting Your Fix! Whether you have time to meditate on with a cup of 'joe' or not, these daily doses of power will encourage, inspire and empower you. Time to get charged!
In His Grip,
Lisa - Warrior, Princess

Monday, October 25, 2010

A Bottle of Clairol for the Soul

Like many women, I color my hair. Every time it is time to get my roots done, more gray hairs pop up. They stick out like a finger pointing at me through the mirror screaming while laughing, "Hey sister! You're gettin' old!" It's amazing to me how women "fight age to the death," as my friend Taylor puts it. When it comes to the looks of many women the signs of aging are the enemy. And the battle begins. We have so much available to us in order to remove wrinkles, cellulite, saggy skin and gray hairs. I have learned that the tenacity people use to fight age is the same tenacity needed to overcome the gray areas of our heart and the cracks in our souls.

Life is tough. For some, tougher than others. And the blows that come from various experiences can result in a wave of pain that leaves scars. If only there were a bottle of Clairol to cover that up and allow us to go on feeling brand new, like it was never there. The problem is that it is there. Clairol, plastic surgery and make-up only hide the truth. The truth is I am getting older. The age of 20 is loooongg gone. Like that truth, people have been hurt, some very badly. I am one of them. I have had a broken heart sooooo many times. I have been betrayed by friends, abandoned by boyfriends and even let down by people in the church. Yet, I am sustained. I am firm and have not been shaken.

I remember a time I gave my heart (I say "a time" because that wasn't the only time) to a complete jerk. Only at the time I thought he was Prince Charming. Anyway, long story short I was deceived and left wondering if I was a lovable person. Could anyone on this earth love me the way I wanted to be? I cried for nights and days before the Lord and struggled with the concept of being alone, forever.

Thank God! He is real and brought answers to my circumstance straight from his Word. I read about a woman who could not conceive a child, a man who was put in a pit and left for death due to jealousy; a woman who was betrayed by her own father and a man who had his birthright stolen from him by his brother. At the end of these stories, there was a happy ending. It birthed hope in me. Then I heard His voice and He said, "I love you. And, I will never leave you, nor forsake you."

The path to healing is honesty. We have to be honest and own what has happened to us. Covering it up and trying to fix it so it appears as though it is not there is not healing and can lead to bitterness. God loves you. He loves us more than we can possibly fathom. And if you bring your heart to Him, He will heal you with His love.

1 comment:

  1. I love your post Lisa. You are so right...through all the heartaches of life, one constant is true....God loves me. I remember when I was in college and my best friend died. Having never had anyone die before, this was traumatic for me. I was so angry at God I quit going to church and I almost quit college. A friend convinced me to go on a retreat...in the desert. It was winter and cold and on the second day, I felt the warmth of Jesus as He reminded me He had never left my side and that He loved me. I was able to heal. The next time death came, it was my grandmother...when I was teaching you at SCHS. I never doubted that God was right there by my side. Through my 51 years, I have had pain and great joy. He is the one constant through it all. I have been blessed to be a teacher for 28 years, a place where I get to take care, nurture and love His children. I feel blessed. Thank you for this blog. I look forward to reading others posts.

    ReplyDelete